Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pierogi, Tequila, and Hockey

Hey everyone.

So another long time between posts where I need to update you on a lot that has gone on so bear with me.

Last weekend we went to Krakow, Poland with the whole AIFS group which was awesome. The bus ride was really long but I was able to sleep and relax which was nice (didn't do any of the homework that I brought on haha). We got into Krakow in the afternoon, and then went for a walk to the Old Town Square. Z showed us a traditional polish food place to go so we had dinner there. I split the meat and ruskie pierogi with Tom and they were delicious. After that we met up with some more people and went bar hopping. They have Zywiec on tap there which is one of my favorite beers. They also have this delicious apple juice and vodka drink that we need to figure out. We had some amazing gryos on the street and then called it an early night.

We got up early and went on a tour, had lunch at "the best gyros place in town" according to Z, and went on another tour. You can see all of my pictures on facebook. There's a lot of churches and sweet old buildings if you can imagine that. We went back to the hotel for a power nap and then I went with a completely different set of people back to the same restaurant. I got the same thing (only more Pierogi's this time) and then we got ice cream after. Everyone was pretty tired so they headed back but Amanda and I stayed and wandered around talking for a while which was really nice.

The next morning we had to get up early and went to Auschwitz. That was a really intense trip. I had been before so I knew what to expect but it still hit me really hard. It was also interesting because the weather was completely different. When I was there 3 years ago it was 105 degrees out. This time it was foggy and wet and really cold. Gave me a better all around understanding of what life was like year round. The worst part for me was the rows and rows of pictures on the walls in the exhibits. I did buy two books there which are really compelling but difficult.

this week has been pretty good. Classes on tuesday were pretty alright. We went to a center for children with learning disabilities for my educational psych class which was pretty sweet except that we had to take our midterm test but I think I did alright. Art and architecture class was soooo boring but the rest of wed was awesome.

Annie and a few of my friends have a class where they had an open mike midterm. Annie made a movie that I was in for like 5 seconds haha so I went with for moral support. Turns out there were like 3 other classes performing as well. The best thing I saw was a remix version of Kafka's "The Trial" rapped to the beat of the Fresh Prince Theme Song. These guys also remixed SNL's "I'm on a boat!" to be "I'm on a Tram". The final act was this girl who did a really cool and slightly creepy interpretive dance.

After that we went to the Tequila party put on by Erasmus which was a ton of fun. I got really drunk and danced the night away.

Yesterday I did a ton of laundry in my sink and then took my jeans and towels to the laundromat and started to work on my presentation for Social Cognition. I completely forgot that Alex had given me her ticket to the Sparta ice hockey game so I booked it back to the dorm to drop my stuff and met everyone there. It as really fun and kind of weird. Stadium beers only cost 30 koruna (about $2), they had cheerleaders (who were really bad), and girls in super skimpy outfits to sweep up ice in front of the goals during time outs. Sparta won which was awesome too.

Today I've just been hanging out, finished my presentation, and am going to go wander for a bit. I think we're going to the micro brewery and then to a dance club called Lucerna for 80's 90's dance party night.

Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment