Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Amsterdam Adventures

Hey there everyone. So I got back from my weekend in the Netherlands yesterday. It was pretty awesome but first about last week.

Nothing too exciting happened. I had my classes which were pretty alright. My educational psych class was a lot of fun because we played ice breaker and get to know you games the whole time. Thursday night Alex and I went around the dorm visiting different people, just wandering, and met Maggie who really wanted to go watch the Phillies game. So we went to an Australian bar near Old Town and got them to put the game on. I was surprised at how good that made me feel. I don't think I realized how much I would miss American sports while I was here.

Friday I got up at 330 to catch a tram and then a bus to the airport for my 6 AM flight. My first flight was late and arrived 5 min after my second flight started boarding so I had to book it through the Frankfurt Airport. I got there though and it all worked out.

Melinda met me and we took the train back to Utrecht where she took me on a biking tour of the city. Then we hopped on a train and went to the Hague which is about 40 min away. We wandered around, saw the Peace Palace, and went to the North Sea beach. It was cold and windy and overcast and just like home haha. We took our shoes off and walked in the sand and put them in the water. Then we walked the shoreline for a while and ate at this mexican food place that was a lot like Chevy's so that was great.

Saturday we did Amsterdam. We did the Van Gogh Museum, the Heineken Brewery which would have been cooler if I wasn't on antibiotics, the Anne Frank house which was really cool, a pancake house, and wandered through the red light district which was very weird to say the least. I kept thinking about what their stories were and what kind of mindset you would have to be in to be trying to sell yourself and seduce every man that walks by. Leave it to me to go into psych mode in the red light district.

Sunday we just hung out because Melinda has midterms this week. We did go for a bike ride into the woods to a pancake house there and I got an amazing one with bacon, ham, cheese, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and green beens all baked into it. Imagine a pancake so thin it's like a crepe and then they treat it like an omelet and you've got it. We got caught in an epic thunder and lightening storm while biking back which was awesome but we were soaked so we stayed in the rest of the night.

Yesterday was basically spent travelling and I've got class in a few so until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment